A Company That *Really* Wants a Writer/Editor

Subject: A Company That *Really* Wants a Writer/Editor
From: Michelle Vina-Baltsas <Michelle_Vina-Baltsas -at- US -dot- CRAWCO -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 8 Apr 1999 12:20:18 -0400

I think it's great if you can do both. I happen find the formatting and
software usage parts of my job to be fun. Obviously, the writing is key, but the
presentation is very important too. As a TW, who has a good eye for design, I
see the formatting as a significant part of the whole process. Just my .02
cents!

But it's great if you can do both, especially if you enjoy it - right?

It took me a long time, but I finally found one--a company that
advertised for a tech writer/editor that didn't *really* want a
typist/formatter. Since 1995 I have interviewed for so, so many jobs,
all claiming to want a writer/editor and all requiring, above all else,
that I am proficient with a certain word processing or DTP program. Now,
instead of feeling out of touch and bored at an STC meeting when I
listen all evening to the people at my dinner table talking about the
advantages and disadvantages of Word or FrameMaker or a certain font, I
can listen with satisfaction and thank God I am one of the few lucky
ones who went to college for more than that.

A few weeks ago I began a job where I can type with my computer if I
want to, but I *never* have to worry about formatting. Heck, I can even
edit the old-fashioned way with a red pen if my back hurts too much to
sit at the computer. I only need to be concerned that the copy is well
written. This company actually hires word processors to do the word
processing!

So if anyone out there is despairing that today's companies want
typists, not writers/editors, I'm here to tell you, not *all* of them.

Beth

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=