Re: Any notable experiences with HP emulated postscript?

Subject: Re: Any notable experiences with HP emulated postscript?
From: Chris Kowalchuk <chris -at- BDK -dot- NET>
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 1999 12:40:51 -0400

I have been using HP emulated postcript for over five years, and have
never had any problems with it (but you may need some extra printer
memory--I find about 8 MB will handle most post pages, even with fairly
complex images, but that's black and white), first on an HP4P, then an
HP4000.

"Does HP postscript
emulation do a good job printing scaled typefaces? Kerning? Reverses?
Rotated text and objects? Acrobat PDFs? As well, how does it do on
graphics saved as EPS?"

Yes, without reservations.

I often prepare documents for professional printing (in PageMaker,
Illustrator, or converted to PDF), and have in every case been able to
proof on my HP everything that would later be handled by my printing
service provider (except colour, of course).

In fact, I often use HP's postcript mode as a default, and hardly bother
with PCL at all.

Well that's my accolade. In over 8 years' experience abusing HP
printers, I've seldom had any problems with them of any kind that
weren't more related to the software I was using or the fact that the
printer was being worked at about twice its rated capacity for far
longer than anyone had any right to expect, and it just needed some
cleaning and service.

Chris Kowalchuk

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=