Re: Single Sourcing

Subject: Re: Single Sourcing
From: Alec Sonenthal <alec -at- GREENBROOK -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 1999 11:41:06 -0500

List,

No one who works with single source documentation would dare suggest
that you use the same content for print, context sensitive, and online
documentation. It doesn't work, and is a huge waste of effort to do so.

However, especially in cases where you are resource poor, true single
sourcing can be a life saver.

Doc-to-Help is a good example. Its online conversion adopts the
hierarchical structure of print, with great result. Headings can be
excluded from the online if desired.

Indexes are converted to keyword indexes, and glossary terms are
converted to glossary popups. Cross references are converted to
hyperlinks. Additional hyperlinks and numerous other "online" only
elements can be easily added to the original, and appear only in the
online version.

Most important, like other tools, Doc-to-Help uses conditional "help
only" and "print only" markings, letting you create substantially
different documents, determined if it is going to print or going to
online.

Is single sourcing for everyone? Of course not. You must plan on
spending time managing your source document effectively, leveraging the
tool into creating what you need.

In the five or six years I have been training Doc-To-Help, RoboHELP, and
HDK across the US, I have seen numerous groups effectively single
sourcing large and complex help systems and online documents. I have
also seen many companies failing, because they were trying to single
source with the wrong tool or with lack of experience.

IMHO,

Alec Sonenthal
Help University, Inc.

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=