Re: The Worst Thing About Contracting

Subject: Re: The Worst Thing About Contracting
From: Connie Giordano <CPGLJG -at- AOL -dot- COM>
Date: Sun, 18 Apr 1999 08:10:06 EDT

I felt it necessary to respond-flame if you will

Yes I'm a full-time writer, 99% behind schedule, who doesn't stroke STC
plaques are blame anyone else. I write well, and I do 90,000 other things
that aren't necessarily technical writing, but are technical communications.

Contractors put me there--hiding their incompetence behind the agencies'
reputations.

This isn't a diatribe against contractors, but I have had altogether lousy
experiences with them. It is a frustration whether contract or full-time, to
work with people who know less than they claim, who waste most of the day
discussing golf or playing minesweeper. If your work ethic is lousy, it's
lousy whether you're a contractor or an employee. If I could find a word
mercenary who understood GUI design and didn't mind helping people
troubleshoot their day-to-day problems with MS Office, it wouldn't matter to
me if they were contract or full-time. The trouble is finding great
communicators who take pride in their work, enjoy a team atmosphere, and make
their deadlines. And in central North Carolina, you can't make a 100k a year
doing it (but you do get a lower cost of living, great basketball, wonderful
weather, and most decent folks who will help a total stranger out of a
jam--but that's another thread)

Andrew, I agree it's ridiculous to put up with political wars, egos, and all
the nonsense that often comes with being part of the corporate structure.
Most of that crap I ignore, because my company's management knows I can get
the job done well, with a sense of humor, and time left over to be the wizard
of word when necessary. They just want to find one or two more who can do
that.

Connie

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=