Re: Word to Mac to Web

Subject: Re: Word to Mac to Web
From: AlQuin <cbon -at- WXS -dot- NL>
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 1999 10:01:45 +0200

On 20-04-1999 03:48 Lori Wiens wrote:

>I'm working with a graphic artist who uses a Mac to upload files to our web
>site. I need to get a Word 97 document to his Mac. I've tried saving the
>file as HTML and sending it to him. He can receive the gif files just fine,
>but can't read the text. Any suggestions? Thanks.

>Lori Wiens

A. Supposing your "brother-in-evil" has MacWord 5.x installed:
1. in Word97 you may save your document as a MCW-file (almost at the
bottom of your save options list). This is a MacWord 4/5.1 readable file.
Text and graphics are ported OK. Or
2. he may download a free Word 97-98 Converter for his MacWord from the
Micro$oft site. This will enable his MacWord 4 or 5.1 to read and convert
Word97 files.

B. Supposing he has some other wordprocessor:
1. export your text in RTF
2. export your text in Word95 (also on your save as list). In this case
he must have Dataviz MacLink installed - standard in MacOS8 - which
translates everything into everything on the Mac. However, the
translators in Maclink v9 doesn't exceed beyond WinWord95...

C. Supposing he will do the webpage formatting:
1. export the text in ASCII-text and send the graphics separately. If
your graphics artist is in a walk vicinity, ad a printout where the
graphics may be located. Otherwise describe and indicate to which
paragraph they belong.

D. Do not export in HTML format, since Word HTML abilities are not
standard W3C

TiP: always, also send your graphics seperately

HopeItHelps

Kees de Bondt

* Write different
* take your Macintosh