Re: Naming conventions

Subject: Re: Naming conventions
From: "Campbell, Art" <artc -at- NORTHCHURCH -dot- NET>
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 1999 09:32:00 -0400

My $.02:

First, ditch the TM symbol. To enforce the trademark, legally, it only needs
to be in the frontmatter where the trademarks are defined
and on the first reference in the manual. Including elsewhere isn't
necessary and looks amateurish, although if you're converting to
online media, it wouldn't hurt to use it on the first reference of each
chapter.

As another writer suggested, paraphrasing using something like "The System,"
would work. I'd either adopt that suggestion, but I'd be more likely to
use a shortened version of the product name (which is a noun) as a noun.
Or just create an appropriate acronym, as you suggest.

Art

Art Campbell
Technical Publications
Northchurch Communications