Re: Avoiding trademarked names?

Subject: Re: Avoiding trademarked names?
From: Richard Elsberry <richard -dot- elsberry -at- SCORECAST -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 1999 09:59:07 -0500

...snip

Do remember to use your trademark as an adjective and not
a noun (Kleenex tissue rather than Kleenex alone). You can loose
your trademark by using it as a noun (I don't remember how or why,
but I know you can).

Melonie R. Holliman
Technical Writer
CPD Marketing
Advanced Micro Devices

...snip

I was surprised to learn this recently as well. It's referred to as
"Unintentional Abandonment" which means by using your mark as a noun or
a verb you are using it in a vague manner and risk the chance of losing
it if chanllenged."...marks should be used consistently, and
distinctively, to enhance their source-identifying function." Marks
should not be pluralized or used in the possesive form either. This blew
me away. I had to go back and do some rewritting when I found this
out!!!

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=