Re: Road blocks in negotiating raise

Subject: Re: Road blocks in negotiating raise
From: Tom Johnson <johnsont -at- STARCUTTER -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 1999 12:48:34 -0400

Ouch, it hurts to have to eat your own words. For a long time I've
pooh-poohed the idea that people accepting low salaries were dragging
others' wages down. Now we have anecdotal evidence that it does happen.
Twice at the same company.

Let me see, you jumped on board for a low salary because you didn't know
what you were worth. At the time you thought you were getting a good deal.
Now you are getting the shaft again because someone with more education
didn't know any better than you. He thinks he is getting a good deal. At
this point your employer has a track record of hiring people who didn't
know their value. Do you expect him to change his mind based on a salary
survey.

I think you have approximately one remedy. You look for another job and
take their offer to your boss and see if he or she will match or beat it.
If you can't find a better offfer then maybe you aren't as bad off as you
think you are. You'd better make sure you have a solid offer though. Some
employers do not take kindly to people who threaten to jump ship. Others,
who truly value you, will make a generous counter-offer.

Another option is to quit comparing yourself to others and appreciate what
you have. Learning to be content can be a great stress reducer.

I know what I've said sounds harsh. I've worked in your neck of the woods
and I know you must be struggling on what you're making if you are anywhere
near Chicago. I do not envy your position. You'll have to make some
choices. If you want more money, you may have to move. I have a feeling you
are bright enough to make a difference in your company. Stick with it and
people will notice. Pay increases will come when enough people see how
valuable you really are.

Tom Johnson
Elk Rapids, Michigan - On the freshwater coast

johnsont -at- starcutter -dot- com work
thomasj -at- freeway -dot- net personal

PS Why don't you send me your resume, we're always looking for someone who
will work for peanuts. Just kidding, we're not that stingy here.

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=