Happy in our work

Subject: Happy in our work
From: MAGGIE SECARA <SECARAM -at- MAINSAVER -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 1999 11:41:40 -0700

After all the conversation about snotty engineers and vague SMEs and being
taken seriously, I just have to share the other side of the coin with you
guys. Context: I'm back to being a captive as well as a lone writer for a
nice, smallish company that creates maintenance management software (modules
to create work orders, purchase requests, employee records and security,
that sort of thing). Not the most glamorous place I've been, but it's ok.
It's also only 10 miles from home, and in L.A. that's just weird.

Anyway, not only did I get a raise after just 3 months, but they actually
invite (better yet, require) me to sit in on spec review meetings, I get to
re-write system messages and edit the often garbled text they put on various
windows, and dump all those randomly capitalized nouns from the QA group's
process document (they had to write it, I got to edit and give a little
lesson in organization). And they asked me to do a "tech talk" thing in
Using Word to the developers, analysts, programmers. Devlopers make sure to
include me when they make changes. And just now Marketing asked me to look
at their "system description" document so it will be in line with my "other
masterpieces". And you know what? They'll probably even take my suggestions!
What a trip.

Now if only they'd get over the idea they need 2 releases a year, so I could
actually do the user manual AND the online help without ulcers, I'd be in
clover.

Of course, nothing's perfect. The pay is ok but not extraordinary, and I'd
work from home more if my computer at home could handle the size of this
product (soon... very soon). But what the heck. I'm really feeling lucky,
and I just felt like sharing.

Cheers!

Maggie
secaram -at- mainsaver -dot- com