Re: Quantity vs. Quality

Subject: Re: Quantity vs. Quality
From: Pierre Roberge <proberge -at- FAMICTECH -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 1999 14:50:29 -0400

Melissa said

> I think what I was trying to say is what if the person
> with two years experience is a VERY GOOD writer,
> but just does not have a lot of road miles? Should his/her
> resume be tossed in the garbage because you, as an
> employer have decided the magical numbers will be
> 3-5 for years of experience? Yeah, you might feel the
> odds will be in your favor if you stick to those numbers,
> but why should the two year person be utterly excluded,
> even if he/she could run circles around your 3-5ers?
> Just curious about what these numbers are
> supposed to mean vs. what they really mean.

My reply

You are right. Experience does not mean much. Talent means much more.
Managers tend to do that because they cannot assess a technical writer's
ability. Their only resort is to look at experience and diplomas, etc. If
the people responsible for hiring knew about technical writing, they would
ask them to write something on the spot. IMO that would be a better way to
evaluate a potential employee.

Pierre Roberge
Famic Technologies 2000

> From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=