Re: Linux and techwhirlers

Subject: Re: Linux and techwhirlers
From: Matt Ion <soundy -at- SOUNDY -dot- ORG>
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 1999 14:16:56 -0700

On Wed, 21 Apr 1999 14:42:30 -0400, Kevin McLauchlan wrote:

>Is anybody using Linux as their work platform?
>Or has everybody got it installed on an alternate
>partition for spare-time tinkering, only?

Another one of those things I keep meaning to get around to... gotta copy
of BeOS 4.0 here that I'm dying to try out as well.

>Is there a sufficiently-capable array of tools, yet?

Depends... sufficient for what?

>I guess you can't overlook Corel's WP, but how
>about real DTP? Anything you'd care to trust with
>your livelihood?

StarWriter, part of StarOffice. Fully cross-platform-compatible versions
available for Linux, Solaris, OS/2 and Win32. StarOffice runs as one app,
with these other "Office" functions running as modules within its own
"Desktop", rather than a pile of separate applications.

>How about a solid, trustable illustration app under Linux?

StarDraw, also a part of StarOffice.

>Other office apps: presentation?

StarImpress.

>Spreadsheet?

StarCalc.

>Database?

StarBase.

>Project?

StarSchedule (to a small degree anyway).

>Mail?

StarOffice includes Mail, News, and web-browser functions. Built-in
address book, too.

>Is there anything like Visual C or Visual Basic?

Yes, although I can't think of the names offhand.

Actually, for most of these, there are some pretty kick-ass Java solutions
as well; just install a Java runtime and you're off to the races. Using
"100% pure" Java apps give you the added benefit of being able to run them
on almost any platform out there - not just "compatible versions", but the
exact same code.

Happy hacking :)

Your friend and mine,
Matt
<All standard disclaimers apply>
"Reality is in alpha test on protoype hardware."

WARNING!
This document was created and transmitted using OS/2 V4, the
most advanced 32-bit PC operating system in the world.

Installation of this software on your computer will cause increased
productivity, Power User Syndrome and cause you to make your own
decisions about how you want to use your workstation. Get Warped
at your own risk!

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=