Re: Official name for the @ symbol?

Subject: Re: Official name for the @ symbol?
From: Marc Barringer <barrim -at- REDSKYTECH -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 1999 16:05:45 -0400

I'll concur. The Manual of American Typesetting (1938 edition) lists the
symbol as

"Commercial At"

My dad(1940 edition), who was a typesetter, says the contraction for it was
said "see-at". ("At" was a typesetting standard, and the two could not be
confused.)

Marc Barringer
Red Sky Technologies
Master of Pointless Trivia

>In olden times (like, when I was young...) it was referred
>to as the "commercial at". In those days, there WAS no
>email, so it had nothing to do with addresses. It was used
>as a shorthand for rates:
>
>3 oranges @ $0.10 ea
>
>Of course... in those days they had a "cents" symbol, too.
>[Probably because there used to be things you could buy
> for less than a dollar -- but I digress from my digression.]
>I can't recall, above which key THAT appeared on my
>Mom's Underwood (2nd one ever made, I believe... :-)
>

>Kevin McLauchlan
>kmclauchlan -at- chrysalis-its -dot- com (aka kevinmcl -at- netrover -dot- com)
>Journeyman techy writer, duffer skydiver, full-time unrepentent chocoholic

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=