Technical Writing as Storytelling (?)

Subject: Technical Writing as Storytelling (?)
From: Justin Soles <jsoles -at- TYPHOON -dot- CO -dot- JP>
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 1999 21:36:20 +0900

I was walking along an underground corridor when I saw an ad for Avid (a
video-editing software company) with the caption "Tools for Storytellers".
At the time, I just thought it was a good tagline and walked on.

Later, I realised that a lot of what we do in technical writing is just
that: storytelling. We may frame and present it in different terms,
(minimalist user guides, context-sensitive online help, etc.) but the focus
is in engaging our reader / viewer / audience, having them resolve a
particular conflict and move forward towards a conclusion. George Lucas may
have a wider scope, better special effects and a bigger budget, but the idea
of telling a story to educate, illustrate and demonstrate is the same.

I'm curious as to whether anyone is taking or has taken this approach to
technical writing. If so, how did you do it and what was the result? Reply
onlist of off, your choice.

Cheers,

Justin

Justin Soles