Re: Gender-specific pronouns

Subject: Re: Gender-specific pronouns
From: "Brierley, Sean" <Brierley -at- QUODATA -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 1999 11:27:13 -0400

Hallo:

I find this topic very interesting and the opinions equally so.

I often substitute the plural "they/their" for "he/his" when referring a
group that includes men and women. I have no problem with this because my
audience has none. In truth, I suspect there are many in our collective
audiences who have problems identifying such a change in number. Besides, it
is accepted practice (in the US, anyway) to substitute "they/their" for the
singular.

My job is to provide information to the audience in such a way that they can
understand and easily use it. Adding the distraction of a gender-neutral
male pronoun, which ticks off female members of my audience, is not in my
game plan. I do not belong to any academie charged with the purpose of
purifying or keeping pure the US-English language. Besides, that's a battle
we can't even define, let alone win.

Like everyone, I have many pre-conceived notions, many of which are a result
of my environment. I try to filter out of my technical writing these
preconceptions, such as associating the professions of fire fighter and
police officer with males. I further try not to act on those preconceptions
in any offensive way. I see those efforts as a requirement of belonging to
society. Besides, I admittedly have no strong opinion on the issue, probably
because I am male, and am one to pick my battles with care.

All the best and stay safe.

Sean
sean -at- quodata -dot- com

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=