A Modest Proposal

Subject: A Modest Proposal
From: Philomena Hoopes <PHILA -at- MAIL -dot- VIPS -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 1999 14:49:24 -0400

You know, it just occurred to me that there is a very simple solution to the
whole matter.

If it's necessary to specify gender, or to make avoidance of gender a
glaring issue, why not use the appropriate gender symbols in documen --
excuse me, docuPERSONtation? The arrowed circle for men, the crossed circle
for women, a merged symbol to indicate non-sex-specific references: perhaps
the circle with both arrow and cross. Takes care of the spelling issue, the
single-sex generic issue, simultaneously. Has some nice archetypal
overtones, too -- Mars, Venus, war, love, men's issues, women's
issues...enough subconscious associations to keep the reader brooding for
hours on topics other than the one at hand.

Myself, I don't see why the inclusion of gender has to be such an issue, but
for those who do, this might be an equitable answer. <weg>

But then we'd have to figure out what to call the durned things......oh
dear......

Philomena Hoopes
Phila -at- vips -dot- com <mailto:Phila -at- vips -dot- com>
VIPS Healthcare Information Solutions, Inc.
(410) 832-8330 ext 845

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=