Ami Pro 3.1: Problem Generating Table of Contents and Index

Subject: Ami Pro 3.1: Problem Generating Table of Contents and Index
From: "Mullowney, Jeff" <JMullow -at- OBIWAN -dot- INTECOM -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 1999 15:10:19 -0500

Hello:

Can anybody help me? I have a manual, done in Lotus Ami Pro 3.1, consisting
of roughly 400 pages in 56 files. The procedures are done in tables, and
the procedure titles are contained inside the table.

Ami Pro generates a Table of Contents based on paragraph styles specified in
a list. The hierarchy of the styles is also specified. Alternatively,
tagging a string of text as a ToC entry may be done.

The problem is that Ami Pro, when generating the Table of Contents, ignores
any and all ToC paragraph styles and tags that are inside a table cell.
They are not included in the generated table of contents. ToC paragraph
styles/tags that appear in text on a page (such as introductory paragraphs
for a procedure) are handled OK.

One workaround is I tag each desired character string in a table cell as a
ToC entry, and then cut and paste to move the tag outside the table. Since
the necessary information is now outside the table, the tag is recognized
during table of contents generation, and the entry is placed in the
generated Table of Contents.

Frequently with the wrong page number, necessitating a manual
check/correction of each entry in the Table of Contents against the document
pages. Time consuming and defeating the purpose of word processor
technology, but it can be done.

The problem is compounded by the fact that the same thing occurs with index
tags in table cells when generating an index. This manual is far too large
to manually index. I could send it out with a kluged Table of Contents and
half an Index, but that chafes against my professional sensibilities.

Converting to another software package is not an option. Does anybody out
there have a solution within Ami Pro? Lotus/IBM are not a solution: they
walked from Ami Pro years ago.

Please. I'm in hell.

-Jeff Mullowney
Senior Tech Writer