preface--request for thoughts

Subject: preface--request for thoughts
From: "Brierley, Sean" <Brierley -at- QUODATA -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 1999 17:34:14 -0400

Hallo:

I include a preface in one software manual that precedes the TOC. The
preface discusses software support and conventions of the book, but is not
about the use of the software product. Use of the software product is
discussed in the chapters and appendices that follow the TOC. The preface is
numbered using Roman numerals.

The Preface and it's headings are included in the TOC, and the Index refers
to items in the preface, also.

Is including such a preface before the TOC appropriate? Ought I move the
preface and it's contents into the body of the book, thus creating a regular
chapter?

Thoughts?

Sean
sean -at- quodata -dot- com