Re: On-line documentation vs Hard copy

Subject: Re: On-line documentation vs Hard copy
From: "Parks, Beverly" <ParksB -at- EMH1 -dot- HQISEC -dot- ARMY -dot- MIL>
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 1999 09:10:35 -0700

I made the decision last year to ditch hard copy and go solely online for
the reference guide to our inhouse software. The reference guide is on the
web. Pressing a Help button in the software launches a mini-web browser and
loads the appropriate page, depending on which screen the user was on when
he pressed the Help button.

But I will say that my decision was purely self-serving, as I suspect many
of those decisions are. Being inhouse software, we can put out updates and
new releases (of the software) as needed, so a hard copy manual quickly
becomes outdated. Online just made more sense in this case for a doc
preparer's point of view.

As a consumer of commercial software, I much prefer having hard copy
documentation.

Bev Parks

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=