Re: transferring a website

Subject: Re: transferring a website
From: Eric Ray <ejr -at- RAYCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 1999 14:00:47 -0600

>Has anyone transferred a website onto CD? What did you
>use? What type of problems did you encounter? How is
>it different than transferring a site to your hard drive?
>Do I need to include a browser? If so, will it have to be
>licenced?
>
>We have a company trying to charge us BIG bucks to
>do this for us. I just cannot believe it is that hard of a
>process.

It's not. Tell you what...we'll do it for 1/2 of BIG bucks
as a favor to you. ;-)

Seriously, it's just like transferring a site to a different
place on your hard drive. Things to remember:
Only use relative links. If you hard code a path name
including a drive letter or the server, you'll have
to fix it for use on the CD.
External links may be broken, depending on the user's
environment.

The actual CD burning process can be as easy as copying files
and waiting for a few minutes, and isn't difficult at any
rate. It all depends on the software you're using.
(What we got with our CD burner works just fine.)

Do you need to include a browser? Depends on your audience.
We included both Netscape Navigator and Internet Explorer
on the <shameless plug> CD in the back of our upcoming
Mastering HTML 4, Premium Edition </shameless plug> at
no cost, so it shouldn't be a biggie anyway.

Hope this helps,
Eric and Deborah

Eric J. Ray RayComm, Inc.
http://www.raycomm.com/ ejray -at- raycomm -dot- com

*Award-winning author of several popular computer books
*Syndicated columnist: Rays on Computing
*Technology Department Editor, _Technical Communication_

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=