Re: CE statement/notice text?

Subject: Re: CE statement/notice text?
From: Tom Johnson <johnsont -at- STARCUTTER -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 1999 08:19:48 -0400

Kevin,

And you expect you would have a better connection on a trawler or remote
island?

Here is what I know about CE requirements.

1. Make sure your product meets all the appropriate guidelines and
criteria,
2. Put the CE mark on your product
3. Create a file where you KEEP ALL supporting documentation that tells
exactly which requirements you have fullfilled.
4. Be prepared for an "audit" if your product fails to perform to CE
"standards."

In a nutshell, it seems as though you can put the CE mark on just about
anything as long as you feel confident you can support your claim that your
product is CE "compliant." What I think I'm saying is that the CE mark
itself is a declaration that you are meeting all applicable standards. All
residents in CE countries are supposed to rest easy in the fact that your
product bears that mark and have nothing to fear. That's the intention of
all the CE propaganda that I've heard. Hopefully it all works in practice.

As technical writers, our two biggest concerns with CE marks are that one
standard requires suitable documentation (instructions) in the native
language of the target country, and the extra CE declaration paperwork we
may be asked to help draft (that's where we had to list every standard that
our product met along with lots of statements about the safety of the
machine). For me it was a lot of extra work. The funny thing is that the
one special machine we sold for a European customer is now on a boat
coming back to the USA to be used in a stateside plant. I guess no auditors
or inspectors will be knocking on our door about that one <grin>.

Having said that, I don't spend much of my time worrying about CE anymore
and there very well could be a standard for documentation that says, "You
must include blah, blah, blah warning."

As Don Smith says, MOO (My Opinion Only)

Tom Johnson
Elk Rapids, Michigan - On the freshwater coast

johnsont -at- starcutter -dot- com work
thomasj -at- freeway -dot- net personal