Re: Cross-references on same page

Subject: Re: Cross-references on same page
From: "Brierley, Sean" <Brierley -at- QUODATA -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 1999 09:42:28 -0400

Hmmmmm.

What an excellent idea. If you don't mind I will both implement this idea
immediately and claim the idea as my own.

>>>On a more serious note: they brought in a real technical
>>>writer this week

Uh-oh. What does that mean? A card-carrying STC member (like myself)?
Someone who got an English/writing degree and who has only had career jobs
as a technical writer (like myself, although, I was offered a job as fire
fighter)?

>>>to go over what I have written. In addition to changing my
>>>future tense to
>>>present tense,

Good. And punished you, too.

>>>and changing an occasional passive
>>>construction to active,

Ahhhh. Passive bad. Active good.

>>>and telling me one of my pages was 'half-assed,' she
>>>advocated this for
>>>cross-references:

Half-assed writing is the bane of all tech writers, everywhere. 'Tis job
security too, at least for us "real" tech writers. <vbg>

>>>For more information, see the section "Off-loading Data."

>>>It doesn't avoid the issue entirely, but sidesteps it.
>>>What do you think?

Off-loading anything, be it data or responsibility, is a good thing. No?

>>>Regards.
>>>
>>>Doug
>>>
>>>Doug Nickerson

Stay safe.