Re: Did ya ever wonder??

Subject: Re: Did ya ever wonder??
From: Sharon Burton-Hardin <sharonburton -at- EMAIL -dot- MSN -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 3 May 1999 13:14:46 -0700

I once wound up looking _really_ bad because the machine I was given was so
totally underpowered that I could not build the help without rebooting first
and then directly building. Make an edit, reboot, build, make an edit,
reboot, build, you get the idea. And that was when I discovered the on
really underpowered machines, sometimes Word does not actually save changes.
That was a really pleasant dicsovery. I looked like I wasn't making the
changes and billing them for gross incompetance. It was a mess. They were
very unhappy with me and I felt stupid for allowing the bad situation to
continue without insisting they get me a better/faster machine.

Now, if I am not given a machine that is up to par, I tell them I will be
back when they are ready for me to work - with the spoken assumption that
since they don't have the tools, they are not ready for me. If they were
ready for me, they would have the machine.

In other words, walk if they don't have the tools. I have been bitten with
this one too many times.

sharon

Sharon Burton-Hardin
President of the Inland Empire chapter of the STC
www.iestc.org
Anthrobytes Consulting
Home of RoboNEWS(tm), the unofficial RoboHELP newsletter
www.anthrobytes.com
Check out www.WinHelp.net!
See www.sharonburton.com!

And then you went...
| I'm on my, oh, I don't know...maybe 6th or 7th
| contract. Without fail, I'm given the most obsolete
| computer in the department.
|
| OK, I can understand how it is thought that since I'm
| only around for a limited amount of time, why "waste"
| a perfectly good 300-400 mhz Pentium II with 64 or
| 128mb RAM when there are several extra 90, 100, or 133
| mhz Pentiums with 16 or 32mb.

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=