Re: MS Word 97-98 problems

Subject: Re: MS Word 97-98 problems
From: "Brierley, Sean" <Brierley -at- QUODATA -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 4 May 1999 11:06:48 -0400

Hallo:

CAVEAT: I speak of using Word 97 on the Windows 95 platform.

I recommend you sign up with an MS Word newsgroup or list ASAP.

However, Master Docs is one of the features in MS Word that doesn't work as
advertised when pushed to the limits. I'm not going to suggest that Word
absolutely cannot do what you want (nor will I recommend you jump ship to
FrameMaker or similar DTP software <vbg>), but Word is a word processor and
you are pushing the envelope. Things may continue to be painful.

Consider getting and using the Tech-Tav template for long or complex Word
documents: http://www.tech-tav.com/Templates.htm (these folks are an
excellent resource).

Also, consider dumping the Master Docs idea and making your book one file,
using section breaks. As an example, the last Word project I did was 596
pages, with index, TOC, xrefs, and a minimum of 4 floating graphics per
page. This was one big file (graphics were referenced), but Word's file size
limitations somewhat went away with the upgrade from Word 95 to Word 97.
Also, upgrade Word 97 immediately to SR-2, if you have not already (checkout
http://www.microsoft.com).

Bonne chance.

Sean
sean -at- quodata -dot- com