Re: Trademark usage (was UNIX v. Unix)

Subject: Re: Trademark usage (was UNIX v. Unix)
From: Howard Peirce <howard -dot- peirce -at- SDRC -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 6 May 1999 14:00:28 -0400

Ridder, Fred wrote:

> Why, then,
> do we try to use other people's trademarks properly in
> what we write? Primarily to avoid any remote possibility
> of having to destroy and replace some of our own
> documentation products if we ever received a "cease
> and desist" order for trademark misuse, but also because
> we hope that if we respect the trademarks of others, they
> will use _our_ trademarks properly in return.

When I worked as an editor in the trade computer book business, we went back
and forth for years over trademarks. Do we attempt a comprehensive listing of
all trademarks, registered trademarks, and service marks in the front matter?
Do we include (r) and [tm]? At the first instance? At every instance?

Anyway, the corporate lawyers undertook an extensive study, and met with
lawyers representing the major software companies, and this is what they came
up with: A single line in the front matter, on the back title page, reading
(roughly), "All trademarks used in this book belong to the people who own
them."

No kidding. All the lawyers were happy.

Howard Peirce
Senior Information Developer