Re: Analysis Top Down vs Bottom Up

Subject: Re: Analysis Top Down vs Bottom Up
From: Sybille Sterk <sybille -at- BOFFIN -dot- BEYOND2000 -dot- CO -dot- UK>
Date: Mon, 10 May 1999 07:46:30 +0100

>Which is the best way to perform an analysis: top-down or bottom-up?

I do a lot of documentation of different types of analysis. The best way
I've found so far is to create a diagram showing an overview of the tasks
involved in the analysis, then the single tasks are described briefly and
then in detail in tutorials.

This concept translates well between manual and help. The diagram in our
case is a hotspot graphic taking you to the brief descriptions which then
again take you to the tutorials which describe the tasks in detail.

In some of our programs we have several different types of analysis in
separate modules. We generally describe them from top to bottom giving the
user somewhere at the beginning the chance to decide which module he wants
to read about.

Hope this helps.

Sybille

Sybille Sterk
Technical Author and Translator (German)
email: sybille -at- boffin -dot- beyond2000 -dot- co -dot- uk

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=