Big fat Word file to chopped-up Frame

Subject: Big fat Word file to chopped-up Frame
From: Betsy Devine <bdevine -at- HOTMAIL -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 11 May 1999 07:17:33 EDT

I have a 200-page Word97 manual, with tons of graphics, to convert into
FrameMaker 5.5.6 (Windows 98.)

We want the Frame version to have chapter-by-chapter page-numbering--I have
such templates already (based on the template in Sun Microsystem's excellent
style manual _Read Me First_.) But could someone with experience tell me
how/where the actual surgery on the Word document is best done?

Do I first chop it up into 20 (or so) separate Word documents, one for each
chapter and appendix, then import them one-by-one into Frame?

Or do I import the whole mess into one Frame chapter, then chop up that
chapter into smaller ones?

Or is there some other, better method I haven't thought of? Any insights on
what is about to happen to my graphics and index markings would also be
appreciated. Thanks!

Betsy Devine Wilczek

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=