Re: joking, no? : Using Contractions in Software Manuals

Subject: Re: joking, no? : Using Contractions in Software Manuals
From: John Posada <jposada01 -at- YAHOO -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 11 May 1999 10:50:14 -0700

Maybe I did miss the humor in the "would of" post. The
last couple of day, "the bear has been eating me".
However, that doesn't negate my stance that
contractions have no place in technical documentation.

Let's say that you use contractions and out of 100
people, 5 of them, for whatever reason, have a problem
from a language or technical accuracy standpoint.
OTOH, if you do not use them, 5 people have a problem
from a formal/familiar standpoint. Would I rather come
off as too stuffy or technically inaccurate?

--- Mary Choy <mchoy -at- SIRIUS -dot- COM> wrote:
> Y'all,
>
> I think original writer was joking. True, no smiley
> emoticon, but I think she's
> joking. As in: we'd ALL prefer to see "would've" to
> "would of" because "would
> of" is flat-out poor and inaccurate grammer.
>
> Cheers,
> /Mare

===
John Posada