PDF Mac to PC problem

Subject: PDF Mac to PC problem
From: Gen Whitt <Gen -dot- Whitt -at- SDINC -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 12 May 1999 09:53:37 -0700

Hi everyone --

A colleague is trying to send me some editing, via PDF files, with very
poor results. He is working on a Mac, in Quark XPress.

I have Acrobat Reader 3.0. I've tried reading these files on Windows 95 and
NT 4.0, printing to an HP3 and an HP5, with similar results. The print
quality is grainy, with a pattern of dots over the page, as though the
whole page is bitmapped in some way. The quality and resolution aren't
sufficiently good for editing. There are also print errors with some of the
PDFs.

I've only worked with PDFs saved via FrameMaker and tweaked in Acrobat. I
can't see any options in Distiller or Acrobat that might resolve this
problem, but I'm sure there is a solution. Obviously, this is a
cross-platform situation; but isn't that part of the purpose of PDF?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Gen

Gen Whitt
Senior Technical Writer