"memory tax" splash screen in install help

Subject: "memory tax" splash screen in install help
From: Jane <judydh -at- TOTAL -dot- NET>
Date: Wed, 12 May 1999 19:39:36 -0500

Hi all,

I'm writing installation help for a product for Windows NT. My help
program begins with a splash screen when InstallShield displays its
Welcome screen. When you click next on the InstallShield dialog, it
causes the splash on my help to display all these funky colours. What
we usually do to create these splashes is create them in Photoshop,
export them to GIF89 format at 128 colours, open them up in PaintShopPro
and save them as bitmap. Apparently this compresses the size quite
cleanly. I've played with the method a bit (indexing to 128 colours,
then directly saving to bitmap), to the same effect.

I haven't had this problem with other splash screens that were treated
in the same way, even when they are larger files.

What is this strange phenomenon?

Thanks,

Jane Sorensen

Download Neoplanet at http://www.neoplanet.com