Re: Guide name quandary...nay...quagmire

Subject: Re: Guide name quandary...nay...quagmire
From: Jan Stanley <janron -at- CONCENTRIC -dot- NET>
Date: Tue, 18 May 1999 14:31:56 -0400

I prefer "Users Guide," but when I've been faced with strong
opposition and couldn't get across the difference between
descriptive and possessive usage, I've gone with "User's Guide"
(which the Microsoft Manual of Style advocates).

The New York Public Library Writer's Guide to Style and Usage
says--

Although an apostrophe is not incorrect in terms like the
following, increasingly it is omitted when the sense of the term
is descriptive rather than possessive--that is, when _for_ is
meant rather than _of_.

teachers college
boys clubs
Merchants Bank