Dr. Diet Mountain Dew

Subject: Dr. Diet Mountain Dew
From: "Beckton, Jon" <jbeckton -at- MHS7 -dot- TNS -dot- CO -dot- ZA>
Date: Tue, 18 May 1999 12:07:47 +0200

Excuse the cross posting but I can't remember which list this came up on.
Someone said:

> Check for a virus. This is the first indication (at least here it was).
> Also, go to your Exchange Help menu, About Microsoft Exchange and see who
> the program is licenses to. If your company name is still there, you
> might have a virus, but if it shows Dr. Diet Mountain Dew - you definately
have
> a virus

Here is our IT people's answer:

this is a symptom of the class virus. Trend products can clean the
class
virus easily, but it will not remove the registry entries because it
does not
know what your registration was before you were infected. to change
the
registration, open regedit and go to the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\
change the "RegisteredOrganisation" and "RegisteredOwner" values to
whatever
you like.
This will solve the problem.

BTW, I'm not connected with Trend in any way but I do like their product. I
hope this is of use

Jon Beckton

jbeckton -at- mhs7 -dot- tns -dot- co -dot- za

"I try to pay my taxes with a smile. Unfortunately, the Receiver insists on
cash.'" - James Clarke

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=