Re: Distance learning

Subject: Re: Distance learning
From: Charlotte Hybschmann Jacobsen <chjac -at- AMROSE -dot- SPO -dot- DK>
Date: Thu, 20 May 1999 15:01:32 +0200

Natasha wrote:

> I'm a beginning Technical Writer from Israel and I am looking
> for some good
> University course in TW.

> Natasha Gorodetsky
> natalia -at- wiztec -dot- co -dot- il
> Wiztec Solutions Ltd, Israel
> Tel: + 972-9-952-65-35

Natasha,

a year ago I took the course "Document Design" as a distance learning course
on Texas Tech University. I live in Denmark. It was very rewarding,
interesting, fun, ... Only drawback was that we met online once a week at
five o'clock in the afternoon US time - this corresponds to two o'clock at
night in Denmark :-)

You can find out about current courses at http://english.ttu.edu/tc/

Some time ago the subject was brought up here on techwirl and Ute Mether
made the following summary:

Hello All!

This is the summary on schools offering distance TW master's programmes.
Unfortunately, I have neither had the time to verify all
addresses/information nor have
I received replies to all my inquiries to the universities. Therefore, I
can not
guarantee the accuracy of this summary. However, (oops, just had a bit of an
earthquake)
if anyone has any further questions regarding this posting only, please feel
free to
contact me.

As suggested by the Posting Rules, I have included attributions of the
whose response to my initial query is included in this summary.

For those of you who are looking for the same information as I am, I hope
this summary
is of some help to you!

Again, thank you very much to everyone who kindly replied to my original
posting.

Ute Methner
methner -at- crisscross -dot- com

Here it goes:

> 1.

University
> > of B.C., but it is on site as far as I know (Iam waiting for info). They
> > are at http://www.mediavision.cotr.bc.ca/institut.htm
> . . .
>
> > Cheers!
> > Kandis Weiner
> > Technical Communicator - System Deployment Group
> > Public Safety Division - Positron Industries Inc.
> > Montreal, Quebec Canada
> > kandisw -at- positron -dot- qc -dot- ca
> > 514.345.2200 ext. 2869
> > www.positron911.com
> > Standard Disclaimer: My opinions are my own.
>
> 2.
> New Jersey Institute of Technology (NJIT)
> contact: friedman -at- admin -dot- njit -dot- edu
> Information provided by Gina Hertel Ghertel -at- alpha88 -dot- com
>
> Sorry, I don't know if they are on the Net.
>
> 3.
> Sheffield Hallam University, UK
> contact: a-f -dot- dujardin -at- shu -dot- ac -dot- uk
> Information provided by Damien Braniff
Damien_Braniff -at- pac -dot- co -dot- uk

> This is a three phase MA in Technical Authorship: first year you
can receive a
> certificate, second a diploma and third an MA.
>
> 4.
> University of Minnesota
> Information provided by Yu-kwong Chiu
Yu-kwong_Chiu -at- sabre -dot- com

> Sorry, I have no further information on this programme.
>
> 5.
> More general URLs related to distance learning;
> Dr. Bear's distance learning college degree site
> http://www.degree.net
>
> Peterson's distance learning
> http://petersons.com/dlearn/dlsector.html
> Information provided by Carol Van Natta
CVNNATTA -at- ITC -dot- NRCS -dot- USDA -dot- GOV

Good luck

Charlotte H. Jacobsen
chjac -at- amrose -dot- spo -dot- dk

AMROSE A/S