Re: deadline question

Subject: Re: deadline question
From: "Brierley, Sean" <Brierley -at- QUODATA -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 20 May 1999 09:33:20 -0400

Hallo:

This is very common. Twriting is at the end of the food chain. Two I'd
consider when I am in your situation:

1. Pulling an all-nighter, as others suggest, and getting the job done. This
is necessarily followed by comp time.

2. Telling the project leader/manager/honcho-in-charge that 09:29 on
Thursday May 20 is the deadline for revisions. Material received after that
will not be included in the help file produced for Friday. The
leader/manager/honcho-in-charge can, and probably will, argue but stick to
your guns. Offer to push back the delivery date of the help file to the
middle of next week and continue taking changes and information until
end-of-business Friday. Etc.

Bear in mind that if you do as I first suggest, you might look good but
often, as others suggest, a known bug becomes too critical to ship or a new
bug is found that causes shipping to be pushed back, anyway. Step 2 might
frustrate your boss but step 2 is a reasonable management practice that your
boss, too, uses. After all, at some point the development of the software
was stopped to make a final build, wasn't it. I'll bet there were some fixes
or features that missed the cut.

All the best,

Sean
sean -at- quodata -dot- com