Re: Quick Start Guides (mini-manual)

Subject: Re: Quick Start Guides (mini-manual)
From: Lane Pasut <Larissa -dot- Pasut -at- OMEGARESEARCH -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 25 May 1999 17:13:22 -0400

IMHO, depends on your goal. If the quick start's purpose is to install the
product, for example, or set up for first use, then you need it in paper
format. Or if your users are using basic computers or terminals, then you're
limited to the technology you can use.

To orient users to a product and shorten the learning curve, I like
multimedia quick tours (or previews). I love Quicken's (Deluxe 99). They put
a lot of thought into theirs (I think they call them overviews). For me,
quick tours are the first step in the learning process, and when done right,
they're interesting and very informative (effective and efficient, I guess
you could say).

Lane Pasut
User Education
Omega Research, Inc.