Re: Advice Sought: supervising an extreme novice

Subject: Re: Advice Sought: supervising an extreme novice
From: "C. Higgins" <cwhitnah -at- NETMEG -dot- NET>
Date: Wed, 26 May 1999 16:18:28 -0400

I agree with all of the respondants on this topic, and would consider
Ginger's points seriously, too. My feeling is as a summer help person, you
would do well to give her the background you spoke of and then to set her to
discrete tasks. Break her work down into tasks that will help you get
through a phase of the project, such as processing the text you have drafted
or converting your sections into the HTML docs. If you ask her to prepare
text for your to finish working on, expect to do some heavy editing. It may
be helpful for you to have her do this, though, for example, get the chapter
sections or subjects into text, read and edit it, have her proof and change
the edits you made so that its ready to go into the new format. Breaking
even this down into chunks "OK, Monday and Tuesday you can type up chapters
5 and 6 while I finalize the first four chapters, Wednesday I will edit your
text while you conventionalize these graphics for me, Thursday you can
correct my edits on 5 and 6 and I will do the hyperlinks and graphics, etc.
etc.

That way she's just helping you with the tasks you need to get through on
the project, including making copies, filing, scanning images?

Cheryl L. Higgins,
Ensemble Productions
cwhitnah -at- netmeg -dot- net