Re: Problem With Microsoft Word97?

Subject: Re: Problem With Microsoft Word97?
From: Beth Friedman <bjf -at- WAVEFRONT -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 27 May 1999 16:23:44 -0500

At 01:48 PM 5/27/99 -0700, Leona Dupree wrote:
> Hello all. I worked on a document a year ago and I was asked recently
>to work on it again, one year later. I created the document in MS
>Word97 and used MS Word97 graphics in the document as well as screen
>captures from the mainframe. Today I printed the document accross the
>network and my computer locked up and put big red Xs in the places
>where some of my grahics were. What do you think happened? I am
>having a problem with Word? did I lose the links to the graphics? am I
>having a problem with the network? or is there a virus on my machine
>that the antivirus software is not detecting? Has anyone else had this
>problem before? Please email me...

This is a known bug in the original version of Word 97 -- one of the very
worst. There have been two services releases (SR-1 and SR-2) since Word 97
was released. You really want SR-2, but in order to apply the patch, you
need to apply the SR-1 patch first. Or if you call Microsoft at
800/360-7561, ask for the SR-2 Replacement disk. This is the entire Office
Suite (it comes in Standard or Professional version, depending on what you
own to start with), so they'll want your serial number. They'll send it
out free. Once you have this, reinstall Office, or at least Word. (There
are a bunch of recalculation bugs in Excel that the service release fixes,
so you're better off doing the entire reinstall.)

That will fix the problem for the future. Unfortunately, if you embedded
the graphics instead of including them by reference, the original screen
captures may be lost forever. The only way to tell is to install the
service release, either via patch or reinstall, and then try opening the
document again.

Hope that helps -- good luck!

--
Beth Friedman