Re: Interview Etiquette

Subject: Re: Interview Etiquette
From: Pierre Roberge <proberge -at- FAMICTECH -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 1 Jun 1999 14:51:08 -0400

Hi Tracy

Nope, I am in Montreal.

I would like to add that at the end of every interview I specifically thank
the interviewers and I also tell them if the job interest me. But sending
another letter to thank them one more time is overkill for me. I already
told them thank you with a big wide smile on my face showing my clean white
teeth. I show my enthusiasm for the job during the interview and you know
what every time I was excited about a job and let it show during an
interview, I got the job. Even though I didn't possess all the
requirements.

I think it is more important to show enthusiasm for a job during the
interview than sending an overkill thank you note. It is either too little
(if you have a poker face during the interview) or too much (if you looked
like you were very interested). Enthusiasm shown face to face has a much
greater impact.

Pierre Roberge
Famic Technologies 2000
Montreal, Quebec, Canada

> ----------
> De : Tracy Boyington[SMTP:tracy_boyington -at- OKVOTECH -dot- ORG]
> Répondre à : Tracy Boyington
> Date : Tuesday, June 01, 1999 2:33 PM
> A : TECHWR-L -at- LISTSERV -dot- OKSTATE -dot- EDU
> Objet : Re: Interview Etiquette
>
> > To me thank you letters are like saying " I am not worthy, you
> are
> > my universe, sorry to have wasted your time" which is ridiculous.
>
> Pierre, are you in the U.S.? That might make a difference, since this
> seems to be mostly a U.S. thing (and I'm surprised that it's not as
> ingrained in U.S. business culture as I thought it was). It would never
> occur to me that a thank you letter meant anything other than "thanks,"
> just like I would thank the secretary who went above and beyond the call
> of duty for me. Anyway, a thank you letter doesn't have to say "thanks
> for lowering yourself to waste your time on such a worthless low-life as
> me." It could say it was nice meeting you, your company sounds
> interesting, good luck on that new product line, just about anything.
>
> BTW, my worst interview experience was when I asked the interviewer when
> she planned to make a decision and she said "I don't know, we're really
> not happy with any of the resumes we've received, so we'll be
> advertising the position again." Gee, thanks.
>
> Tracy
> --
> Tracy Boyington mailto:tracy_boyington -at- okvotech -dot- org
> Oklahoma Dept. of Vocational & Technical Education
> Curriculum & Instructional Materials Center
> Stillwater, Oklahoma http://www.okvotech.org/cimc/

> =
> Send commands to listserv -at- listserv -dot- okstate -dot- edu (e.g., SIGNOFF TECHWR-L)
> Find TECHWR-L-related books at http://www.raycomm.com/techwhirl/books.htm

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000