Re: Danger of online Resumes

Subject: Re: Danger of online Resumes
From: "Steven J. Owens" <puff -at- NETCOM -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 1999 16:01:24 -0700

CCMiller writes:

> I'd like to post my resume online, but after 10 years in my current
> job, I'm a bit wary. I've heard horror stories about one's current employer
> stumbling on these resumes and putting you on the fast track out the door.
>
> I've considered some kind of honest but effective comouflage, such as
> using my middle and maiden name. Does anyone have any experience, anecdotes
> or advice?

Just put up a personal website; five or six pages, including one
page with your resume. Make sure the main page points clearly to your
resume without being too blatant about the fact that you're looking.
Then jsut give people the URL to your website. Also, start including
that URL in all your correspondences.

Make sure the resume page's name is fairly obvious; if you use
"CCMiller" a lot, you might want to register ccmiller.com (it's
available, I just checked, as is ccmiller.org). Then make the resume
page ccmiller.com/resume.html (if feasible, map "ccmiller.com/resume/"
to point to that file as well - depends on your provider and how your
particular website is set up).

Does the STC or any other professional organization - maybe
techwrl? - provide free resume web page hosting? If so, take advantage
of that and if anybody at work mentions it to you, just tell 'em it's
a standard professional organization resume bank. It means nothing.

Frankly, one of the more valuable lessons I learned early on was
that any professional should always be circulating their resume on a
constant, low-level basis. Have to keep your finger on the pulse,
keep aware of the market and the currents, etc.

Steven J. Owens
puff -at- netcom -dot- com

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=