What do you put in figure captions

Subject: What do you put in figure captions
From: John Posada <jposada01 -at- YAHOO -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 1999 13:40:46 -0700

Hello, people...

I have a Frame book of about 450+ pages and among
those 450+ pages, I have 270+ images...mostly screen
shots.

Due to poor software design, the titles of the windows
in the application are not descriptive of the
contents. The same type of windows with different
contents will have the same name in the title bar.
BTW...this is why I have so many screen shots. It is
hard to mention a window in the text without a picture
when the contents is different and the person reading
the instructions might think of one window when the
software is displaying another.

Because of that, I want to compose the figure caption
based on a descriptive format based on the contents
but I'm outvoted by one or two people around here that
want me to use the title of the window as the figure
title, regardless of how redundant they may be.

The problem is that when I generate the Figure TOC
(LOF to those in the Frame world), the list doesn't do
much to help a person find a graphic of a window since
he may find 12-15 figures listed with the same
caption.

I'm looking for ways that you-guys* use to caption
graphics so that the Figure index is half-way usable.

*Hey, I'm from Brooklyn, so shoot me.
===
John Posada
Western Union International