Re: Visual Source Safe

Subject: Re: Visual Source Safe
From: "Halter, Meg" <HalterMC -at- NAVAIR -dot- NAVY -dot- MIL>
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 1999 12:22:07 -0700

Hi Walter --

I've been using Visual Source Safe (VSS) for several years,for managing code
and Word documents. It's easy to use and works just fine.

I've run into only 2 drawbacks. One is that VSS's difference utility doesn't
work on Word files. It's a handy thing to do (I use it quite a bit on source
code and other ASCII files). But the differencing utility in Word can be
used instead.

The other drawback it that there's no way to put macros into VSS to make
different builds for different recipients. For example, customers A and B
should get different versions of an appendix. (If anyone knows how to do
this in VSS, I'd love to know how!)

Since this is the only configuration control software I've worked with, I
don't know how this compares to other packages.

-- Meg Halter
haltermc -at- navair -dot- navy -dot- mil

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=