Re: Visual Source Safe

Subject: Re: Visual Source Safe
From: "Hyde, Barb # IHTUL" <Barb -dot- Hyde -at- TULSA -dot- CISTECH -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 1999 08:20:28 -0500

Meg,
I'm not sure what you mean by not storing macros that make different
versions of an appendix. However, we develop private-labeled versions of the
same material. Each partner gets something a little different, including
product and company names throughout. I store the Word DOT files I use for
the various products with the products in VSS. All the macros are stored and
changes to them are tracked. The other thing I use (for compiling Help files
is a batch file that does one help after the other. This file varies with
the private-label and I store it in VSS, also.

A clarification for readers wondering about Visual Source Safe and Word
Docs: While it is true that VSS's change viewer does not work with binary
files (DOC,RTF,BMP,SHG, etc.), VSS does store and track the changes to these
files and can tell you if the file in VSS is different from any other
version of the file on your system. VSS also gives you the option of storing
any file with all changes or only the latest version of the file - even the
binary files. I store changes on DOCs, but only the latest version of things
like the RTF I create from the DOC.

And a question for you: How do you use macros to create your multi-versions
of documentation? I have dreamed up my approach in a vacuum. It works, but
I'm always interested in how others do the same thing. Do other listers have
pet tricks to handle this complicated requirement?

Barbara Hyde
barb -dot- hyde -at- ndcorp -dot- com

>Date: Mon, 14 Jun 1999 12:22:07 -0700
>From: "Halter, Meg" <HalterMC -at- NAVAIR -dot- NAVY -dot- MIL>