Stick with RoboHelp, or upgrade to something else?

Subject: Stick with RoboHelp, or upgrade to something else?
From: Geoff Hart <Geoff-h -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA>
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 13:32:20 -0400

It's been a while since I last upgraded RoboHelp, so I'm currently
working with version 6. It has some quirks I don't much like, but it's
adequate for the job. Version 7.X looks easier to use based on
conversations I've had previously on techwr-l, and Version 8 is due
out imminently, so it seems like a no-brainer to upgrade before I
begin my next project. The problem: for the outrageous cost of the
RoboHelp upgrade, I could purchase competitive upgrades to full
version of _both_ ForeHelp _and_ DocToHelp!

I'm not wedded to RoboHelp; it does a decent job, and works
directly in Word, but I don't have any aversion to learning a new
application either, and the RoboHelp marketing department has
begun to annoy me more than a little. I'm not so expert on
RoboHelp that I need to preserve a huge skills investment with the
tool (help development is a small part of my job, and an infrequent
task), and I'll have to do some playing around to get back to my
former proficiency with the tool. So here's the question: Should I
bite my lip, open the corporate purse, and upgrade RoboHelp, or
would it make more sense to switch to ForeHelp _and_ DocToHelp
for the same price, and choose which tool I prefer to work with?

--Geoff Hart @8^{)} Pointe-Claire, Quebec
geoff-h -at- mtl -dot- feric -dot- ca

"The ability to speak does not make you intelligent."--Qui-Gon Jinn

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=