Re: via the Internet?

Subject: Re: via the Internet?
From: Sheridan-Smith John <john -dot- sheridan-smith -at- BMWFIN -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 1999 15:19:34 +0100

If the objection to the use of VIA is on the grounds that the audience won't
know what the word means, then I agree that it should not be used. But the
idea that it should not be used because it implies purely geographical
translation doesn't hold much water, whereas a VIAduct holds lots of water.

The Internet is a channel of communication, known belovedly by politicians
as the Information Superhighway. More than that, it is actually a bunch of
physical pipes down which data moves, just as traffic moves down a street.
Many things can be said to go VIA the Internet, including for example, an
e-mail message going convolutedly VIA a number of geographically and
electronically distant locations is just as linguistically valid, it seems
to me, as going VIA Singapore when flying from London to Sydney; not to
mention strolling down the VIA Dolorosa.

I don't think I've ever heard the term "by the Internet" used. Personally I
would only use such a term to describe the family history of a racehorse
called, perhaps, ATM Network.

Regards

John
John -dot- Sheridan-Smith -at- BMWFIN -dot- COM

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=