Re: Compensation question

Subject: Re: Compensation question
From: Debbie Packer <dpacker -at- STINGRAYBOATS -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 1999 14:53:01 -0400

It is indeed very interesting to see what tech writer job pays are in other
parts of the county.

I don't have all the experience that most of you have, but I agree that $65k
sounds really high with such little experience and a non-technical
background.

Personally, I have a technical backround and a writing background, and a
salary that high doesn't even come anywhere near my mind - I would just be
happy to find tech writer jobs where I am!

I forget who started this thread, but if I were your friend and received the
$50k offer with the experience mentioned, I would take it and run with!

Just my opinion.

Debbie

> >65G is the combined salary of 2 TWs in South Carolina.
>
> That's about the same in Knoxville, TN. My Mom has 20+ years tech
> writing and was lucky to find anything paying over $40k here. There are
> some tech writing jobs here that pay only $8/hour. Beginning tech
> writers can make probably $12/hour if they are lucky. Up to $22/hour for
> 5-10 years experience *if* you have a good contract. Less than that if
> you have a permanent job with benefits.
>
> Programmers earn $50k-65k here if they are good and have about 10 years
> experience.
>
> Very interesting to see what other parts of the country pay for tech
> writing jobs.

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=