Re: dpi and pixels

Subject: Re: dpi and pixels
From: "John P. Brinegar" <johnbri -at- PRIMENET -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 09:12:40 -0600

DPI and pixels are similar but different. DPI refers to the resolution of
an image in dots-per-inch. Pixels refer to the number of picture elements a
medium; like a monitor, a flat-panel display, or even a print on paper;
can present. Most monitors display between 70 and 90 pixels per inch.
Therefore, a resolution greater than, say 90 DPI, yields no improvement in
picture definition on the monitor; but if a printer can support a greater
DPI, improvement may result.

>I am confused. I was requested to scan a high resolution picture of
>1000x1000 TIF format. I assumed it was pixels.
>My boss said that 300 dpi (dot per inch) were enough otherwise the file
>would be way too big.
>Now, I am confused between the two of them.
>Can anybody help me understand the difference and how you measure the
>resolution.
>--
>********************************
> Sylvia Braunstein
> E-mail: sbraun -at- rugged -dot- com

John P. Brinegar http://www.primenet.com/~johnbri/index.html
Consulting and development Phoenix, Arizona, U.S.A.
-Performance support systems (602) 278-7398
-Technical communications johnbri -at- primenet -dot- com or dad -at- vr2link -dot- com

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=