Re: the cause for Word's 'margin' error

Subject: Re: the cause for Word's 'margin' error
From: John Lilly <jlilly -at- IDCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 1999 11:27:54 -0600

I'm sorry if someone has already responded with this information (I get
the digest version only), but I wanted to clarify my earlier post today
regarding Word's margin error. The margin error I mentioned, caused by a
combination of custom paper size and odd/even headers and footers, is
one of two margin errors in Word. The two errors are two totally
separate issues.

The error I did NOT mention, the more common of the two, occurs when you
have set margin values that are truly incompatible with your printer's
specifications. This second error will occur at two different times:

1. If you set margin values that are incompatible with your
current default printer, you will get this error when you try to exit
the Page Setup dialog box.

2. If you set margin values that are OK, but then you switch printers in
the Print dialog box to a printer that does not support those margin
values, you will get the error at that time.

This error message says:
"One or more margins are set outside the printable area of the page.
Choose the Fix button to increase the appropriate margins.
(Fix) (Ignore)"

If you click Fix, the margin values will be changed to accommodate the
current printer. If you click Ignore, the printer will do its best, but
you will likely lose some text at the borders of the page. This error
message does NOT reappear for each section of the document.

So in summary, there are two margin error messages, one that is valid
(Fix/Ignore buttons) based on margin values, and one that is a bug
(Yes/No buttons) based on custom paper size and odd/even headers and
footers.

I apologize for not explaining this better the first time; my intent was
to highlight only the bug.
-John Lilly

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=