compensation question - HELP NEEDED

Subject: compensation question - HELP NEEDED
From: "Backer, Corinne" <CBacker -at- GLHEC -dot- ORG>
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 14:06:07 -0500

I'm currently in a little battle with my HR department over how much I
should be making. We seem to have differing opinions on this matter. :)

Here's the scoop:
5 years of tech writing experience, widely varied areas, both highly
technical and not so technical. Started here 2 years ago, as the only tech
writer. Now supervising 5 people (soon to be 7) and coordinating all tech
doc projects. Creating paper docs (training materials, procedure manuals,
mainframe system documentation) as well as online help (both PC
application-based and Internet-based). I don't know how to phrase this
delicately, but I do excellent work and have received outstanding reviews
for 5 years running.

I see on the STC website that 47,730 is the mean for mid-level supervisory
nationwide. What I'm looking for is kind *MIDWESTERN* souls to give me an
idea of what they're making in a comparable job, as my HR department refuses
to consider national averages as pertinent.

Also, anyone from other areas of the country (specifically, Austin TX and
Seattle WA) who'd like to volunteer this same type of info would be great -
if this discussion doesn't go my way, there may be a moving van in my near
future. :)

Thanks so much in advance. I promise I'm not snooping for any reason but
documentation for HR - I'll burn the evidence as soon as I get a good
response.
Corinne Backer
Documentation Coordinator

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=