Fw: Salary History

Subject: Fw: Salary History
From: Robert Campbell <rcampbell -at- SYNOMICS -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 1999 12:30:56 +0100

Kristen Lodge wrote:

>There was a job posted where the hiring person is requesting a salary
>history.
>Do they want just a paragraph or something similar to a resume?
>I just don't understand what the format should look like. I've never been
>asked for something like this for any job.
>
>Thank you,
>Kristen

My £0.013 worth: Why is salary history considered so important? Surely a
company will pay what they feel the job's worth - why should they care that
you were vastly underpaid at a previous position? Maybe you took the job
because it offered an opportunity for learning, or suited your personal
circumstances at the time. Conversely, just because you're currently on
$100K, should a potential employer be expected to pay way over the odds? At
most interviews I've been on, I've been asked what I expect as a package -
this is a starting point for negotiation and/or haggling - what I currently
earn is no business of anybody's, especially a potential employer...

Robert Campbell
Technical Author
Synomics Ltd
Compass House
Vision Park
Histon
Cambridge CB4 9AD
UK

Tel: +44 1223 257788
Fax: +44 1223 257888

Email: rcampbell -at- synomics -dot- com
WWW: www.synomics.com

>From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000==

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=