Fields vs. Boxes, Options, etc.

Subject: Fields vs. Boxes, Options, etc.
From: Shannon O'Brien <sobrien -at- CDGROUP -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 1999 15:01:52 -0400

Hi everyone:

I was wondering what the consensus is on referring to specific parts of
dialog boxes as fields rather than the names specified in the Microsoft
Manual of Style.

For example:

Click to select the Hidden Text field vs. Click to select the Hidden Text
check box.

OR

Type your name in the User ID field vs. Type your name in the User ID text
box.

Any suggestions or comments? We've been debating this issue here and I
would appreciate any feedback.

Thanks,

Shannon

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=