Re: At what point does software become an application?

Subject: Re: At what point does software become an application?
From: Ann Howell <ahowell -at- POOLMAIL -dot- DOLPHINSOFTWARE -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 1999 15:21:44 -0400

I tend to agree. You don't install "the FrameMaker software", but "FrameMaker".
Same idea -- fewer words, less redunancy.

Ann Howell
Dolphin Software
http://dolphinsoftware.com

Rob Steiner <rjsteiner01 -at- YAHOO -dot- COM> on 06/29/99 03:12:39 PM

Please respond to Rob Steiner <rjsteiner01 -at- YAHOO -dot- COM>

To: TECHWR-L -at- LISTSERV -dot- OKSTATE -dot- EDU
cc: (bcc: Ann Howell/Dolphin)

Since I'm a minimalist, I'd be opposed to "the Bill
software" for the simple reason that it uses too many
words to describe something that could be described
with one word -- "Bill." After all, the user already
knows that he's installing "Bill" on a computer and
doesn't need to be reminded that "Bill" is software.

--- John Posada <jposada01 -at- YAHOO -dot- COM> wrote:
> OK, kiddies...thinking caps on.
>
> I have an application. We'll call it "Bill".
>
> Before Bill can be run, it has to be installed.
> (duh)
>
> I have a manager taking the following approach.
>
> Before Bill is installed, it is "the Bill software"
> After Bill is installed, it is just plain Bill.
>
> In practice, it goes something like this (samples
> are
> out of context):
>
> During installation:
>
> "Specify the directory where you would like to
> install
> the Bill software. The default directory is
> C:\PROGRAM
> FILES\BILL."
>
> After Installation:
>
> "Bill gives you the ability to name a location by a
> descriptive term. You are limited to 50 characters."
>

> What think yee? I almost agree with him, but then I
> like whipped cream placed...well, never mind where I
> like whipped cream, it's off topic. ;-)
> ===
> John Posada
> Western Union International